Friday, July 17, 2009

Book Your Reading Now

The Douglasville Library was the proud recipient of $5.20 from me for late fees yesterday. But I was happy to pay it. Not only did I get to keep and finish reading two great books by Lisa Gardner, $5.20 was a lot cheaper than buying them. I miss Borders, but honestly the library in Douglasville is such a great place with so many great services that at least there's compensation. One thing I would like to tell you is that they finally, finally repaired the squeaky front door. The door automatically slides open as you approach and for the last two years or longer, the horrid, nerve stretching squeal from a misaligned door greeted each visitor. I literally covered my ears, but now that sound is gone and the door opens soundlessly and you enter the library's foyer to find loads of information about the services. The next door opens into the library which is roomy and well-organized. All of the librarians are friendly service-oriented people. I have really appreciated the place since I lost my job in November and couldn't afford to buy books anymore. Apparently, a lot of Douglasville residents feel the same way. All the services are up-to-date; so far the county has seen fit to continue all services.
There is a table or two of books for $1 each, and then there is also an "honor" table. Just take a book, read it and then bring it back for another. The collections are extensive; so far I have found all books or tapes that I wanted. Patrons can reserve books but just like at any library there is often an extensive wait period for the best sellers. Still, it beats not reading them because you can't buy them.
Located near Douglas County High School (better known as "DC" by the students) and several low income and retirement rental units, the library serves the community in more ways than just books and tapes. It provides a place for tutoring for all students in the county with several little rooms. And it gives the nearby residents a quick access to a place to go that is fun and entertaining and cheap. The location is in the "old" part of town. The nearby houses are beautifully traditional and charming. Speaking of charming, the outside is also very useful as well as attractive. There is a cute little garden near the entrance where, if a reader wishes, books can be enjoyed on one of the comfortable garden benches. In the autumn as the leaves are changing and the weather can't make up its mind whether to be summer or fall, those benches are great for reading or napping!
I notice the ages mixing at this library. For example, the other day I was in there and because it is summer, several readers sat at tables or in the chairs quietly absorbing a story. The thing I noticed was that teenagers sat near oldagers quite comfortably. Blacks sat near whites. Males sat near females. Everybody just mixed without thinking of anything other than the enjoyment of a good book. In my first blog, I pointed out that Douglasville is halfway between Alabama and Atlanta or the city and the rural areas, if you will. I believe that closely describes the entire atmosphere of the town. Location is perfect for blending of several elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment